Winter Park Kappa Foundation Inc. and Winter Park Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. will award up to $10,000 in scholarship funds for the 2018-19 academic year, in the form of (5) $2,000 dollar awards. Targeted recipients are African American male high school seniors who plan to enroll into a regionally accredited college or university for the fall 2018, however the scholarship is open for all to apply. The Foundation and Winter Park Alumni annually present scholarships as part of a joint mission to provide higher education opportunities to at-risk or disadvantaged youth who would benefit greatly from such support.
Founded in 1911, Kappa Alpha Psi is a service organization with more than 100,000 members in 600-plus college and alumni chapters worldwide. Its Winter Park Alumni Chapter has served Central Florida since March 1992, focusing on the youth guidance and development. The Winter Park Kappa Foundation, established in 2012, is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that supports community service endeavors in Central Florida and those sponsored by the Winter Park Alumni Chapter.
For scholarship eligibility, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of the application
- Completion of a written essay addressing the application questions
- Submission of one letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or church leader (e.g., pastor, priest, minister, elder)
- Submission of an official high school transcript
- Submission of a current photo of publishable quality (minimum 300 dpi). The photo, which will not be returned, will be used for publicity purposes for the scholarship recipients.