Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity History
Black Greek letter organizations on Indiana University’s campus in Bloomington began in 1903; however, but there were not enough African American registrants to ensure longevity. That year, the Alpha Kappa Nu club was formed. It had the twofold purpose of strengthening the voice of African Americans’ voice at the university and in the city of Bloomington. The rationale for that Greek letter name is unknown, and the club expired not long after its inception. There is no record of any similar organization at Indiana until the chartering of Kappa Alpha Nu in 1911.
Organized as Kappa Alpha Nu Fraternity on January 5, 1911, the organization received its charter and incorporation on May 15, 1911. Four years later, on April 15, 1915, the fraternity renamed itself Kappa Alpha Psi.
Kappa’s founders successfully developed a formula to immediately heighten the vision of black collegians, stimulating them to accomplish more than they had imagined. With achievement as its purpose, Kappa Alpha Psi began uniting college men of culture, patriotism and honor within its fraternal bond. In rapid succession, chapters spread to the University of Illinois, the University of Iowa, and Wilberforce University campuses. By 1919, the Kappa Alpha Psi experience had generated enough serious interest among black college degree holders that alumni chapters began to form. Undergraduate and alumni chapters now are worldwide.
Kappa Alpha Psi is based in Philadelphia, the site of its international headquarters. Historically, its members predominantly have been African American. One of the fraternity’s objectives is to train its members, particularly undergraduates, to assume leadership roles in their communities and achieve a high degree of excellence in academic pursuits.
To learn more about Kappa Alpha Psi and its history, visit the fraternity’s Web site at http://www.kappaalphapsi1911.com/.
Winter Park Alumni History
A gathering of former Winter Park Alumni Polemarchs
(L to R: Fred Knight, John Bolden, Kevin Gaston, Louis DeFreitas, Cliff Jones, Eugene Vaughn, Glynn Cox, Michael Kelker*)
The Winter Park (FL) Alumni Chapter received its charter on March 14, 1992 after a yearlong effort to bring a second Kappa alumni chapter to Central Florida because of the region’s rapid growth and community needs. Starting with 15 charter members, Winter Park Alumni has grown modestly and now has more than 50 active members. The chapter’s target area for community service is the northeastern corner of Central Florida, from Winter Park to Deland. In terms of professional fields represented by its membership, the chapter is widely diverse, practically covering “every field of human endeavor.” The brotherhood includes highly respected practitioners in professions such as law, finance, medicine, architecture, public relations, sales, education and engineering. Additionally, the chapter has its share of entrepreneurs.
Read further to learn about Winter Park Alumni’s dynamic beginnings and record of success. (Winter Park History: The First Decade) (Pictorial View of the ’90s)
March 1992. Standing L to R: Kevett Mickle, Terence K. Saulsby, Jeff Munroe, Turhan Robinson, Stephen Graham, Fernanda Jones, Kevin S. Gaston, John Bolden, DeVonn Baker
Seated L to R: Peter Clarke, Richard Axle (Polemarch), Thomas Battles (Southern Province Polemarch), Barry Bellamy, Anderson Brooks III